Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Check out my law school essay

This is the main essay I would like to use, probably for Georgetown, NYU and Harvard. I think it conveys my interest in the law and what I bring to the school (there is one word that becomes very obvious and repetitive very fast, but I think that is for the best). Alright blog readers, let the comments rain, you hear that? RAINING comments, I want a typhoon. You have about three days, maybe four.

I will post Columbia and Stanford if you guys show me how you do:

Personal Statement for Georgetown Law
When I went to Mexico, I spoke no Spanish; when I went to Taiwan, I spoke no Chinese. After six months in Mexico, I was taking literature and history classes in Spanish. After three months in Taiwan, my Chinese is fine, but I have enrolled in formal courses to improve faster. I do not have a knack for language, but I have a passion for immersion and learning. I hope to bring that passion to Georgetown Law, to immerse myself in the language of the law and leave as a more capable person.
With most challenges, I prefer to make things difficult and rewarding. I studied abroad for three semesters during college, six months in Mexico and a traveling program in Asia. In Mexico, I enjoyed learning not just Spanish, but how to learn a second language. My second study-abroad experience was under the Freeman scholarship, which allowed me to travel to over twelve cities in Thailand, Japan, and China. The program’s speed was challenging, but the experiences have had a profound effect on how I view the world.
I took a similarly immersive approach to my honors thesis. My thesis was on the Pudong New Area of Shanghai in China. Its fantastic skyline caught my eye and held my interest. Until then, my classes had been directed towards Latin America. Thus, I had to begin from nearly square one in gaining an understanding of China and Shanghai’s economic histories. My thesis became very extensive and combined my diverse interests in economics, politics, and sociology. The end result ranged from the broad to the specific and, I feel, conveyed my points well. My passion for understanding gave me the drive to start from little knowledge to disect very specific knowledge.
I am equally passionate with my personal interestes. I love writing and photography, and I got the opportunity to edit The Palimpsest, a publication by CU’s Humanities club. I have taken thousands of photos abroad and was nominated for CU’s 2004 Study Abroad Photo Competition. I have a similar passion for my essays and was nominated for The Harvey Longfellow Essay Competition. Computers have been an important interest of mine; my first job at 15 was designing, managing, and publishing my local newspaper’s website. For seven years, I had different computer jobs, primarily focusing on mixing technology with existing traditional structures, such as bringing CU courses online or putting my newspaper on the Internet. I have eclectic passions, from dancing to chess; and I try to fully explore these interests.
I now live in Southern Taiwan, where I am an English teacher and a student of Chinese. Chinese has been more interesting to me than Spanish, because it is so different and success becomes more rewarding. It is constantly challenging, and there are no shortcuts. I enjoy studying for extended periods and really feeling like I have grown. Teaching is actually strikingly similar. It is often extremely difficult, with varying challenges; it also provides many opportunities to experiment and learn. Suddenly surrounded by five and six year olds was initially terrifying, but I learned quickly. Despite difficulties, I have remained passionate about it and have learned a lot about teaching and about myself. I now feel comfortable teaching, have my own individual style, and know what type of classes I prefer to teach.
I hold a similar passion for the law. I find complex legal problems intriguing. I cannot really know what type of law will attract me because I maintain eclectic interests. However, I hope to be involved in international law, corporate law, and technology law, because I think they are profoundly important. The movements of the legal field directly affect how our society forms, and I would like to be a part of that process. I would like to use my experiences abroad and experience with technology to bolster my understanding of law. In that way, I hope to be especially attuned to modern law, as it faces complex issues involving technology and globalization.
At Georgetown, I will fully immerse myself in the language and culture of the law and combine them with my past experiences to have an understanding of the law and its development. I hope that my passion and enthusiasm will allow me to become adept at the complex and exciting language of the law.

2 comments:

Smiranda said...

This is a comment to tell you that I'm going to comment. Just be patient. On one review I can say I don't like the part about the thesis. You're super repitive and kind of dry. I'll look at it again when I get some more time....

Nick (the tricky one) said...

I deleted the last post because it made no sense. SO here goes. The thesis paragraph seems to lack focus and an overall theme and touches on many different things that seem like they arent connected in any way. Is there a Question you are answering when writing this?
Finally, when you say you want to do Corporate, Interantional, or Technoligical Law because they are important is pretty dull and doesnt seem like that great a reason. These types of law are all greatly far apart so I would maybe choose one that you want to talk about more and focus on that one in the essay.