Sunday, September 04, 2005

Raw poltiical anger

I still think about politics. I want to support the things I love in a vast and usually amazing country. But I wonder if I have the emotional capability for it. Bush has left the kind of distaste in my mouth that makes me question eating in its entirety.
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2005/09/03/national/03bush.4.jpg
That photo did it for me. I was already reading articles and getting more and more angry. But something about the photo makes me feel terribly upset. It just seems like he does not get it.
I know it is likely just me. I perceive something that is generated from my political bias. Still, it really makes me very ill.
I have loved ones who voted for him, and that makes it harder. I realize there must be something to him that someone must like. However, I can’t envision it. I have never seen him that conservative, I have never seen him that compassionate. Perhaps he is some incredible genius and I don’t see it, but I can’t honestly believe that.
It just seems to me that the country has given the most powerful job in the country to a frat-boy-spoiled-brat.
Being here has made me think about November 2nd a lot. That was a beautiful day, being my mom’s fiftieth birthday, and such a terrible day for my nation.
I often wonder which is more important. I mean that metaphorically, but the question is whether American politics equates to American life. After the election, I just went on with my life. I realized I had friends and things I loved about America that were so distant from the worst political mistake in my lifetime (albeit a short life time).

The thing that bothers me so much is how did this even come up for debate? Clinton had an affair in office. That’s terrible! Yet I think he is infinitely better than what we have now. How did Watergate happen? How in the world can a country so blessed have people running it that think George Lucas style power-mongering is okay? Why is this a debate?
The more I think about it, the more I am disgusted with American politics. How did they sink so low?
I refuse to believe that humanity cannot find more capable leaders. I don’t ask every politician to be MLK, but at least be a nice person. Blunt statement: I and at least 70% of all my friends and family are BETTER PEOPLE than the last three presidents, chief of staffs, and senate majority leaders. I am just a dude, a normal person, but I am confident in that statement.
I have a lot of answers to these questions. I specifically don’t want answers I guess, because I have them and they make me more upset. The real question is whether or not to play a sport that you love when the game has gotten so dirty.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Me for President!
- Daryl

Love reading your blog. Keep them up.

Smiranda said...

Makes me want to move to Canada sometimes. Stupid Nick for being so stubborn.

WHY WON'T YOU TALK TO ME WHEN I MESSAGE YOU?! Love me!

Anonymous said...

Hi Matty!!

It's Erica. I completely agree with you. I don't understand how anyone with a brain would ever vote for Bush. ...How is it that he actually got elected?

He's a spoiled frat boy who can only get elected by trying to claim he's a man of faith.

... Umm sure. Kerry was a far better religious figure than him!

Now I'm mad.

-Erica