Monday, November 21, 2005

我的網誌

I give my MSN address to basically anyone that expresses a vague interest. Here in Taiwan, my MSN address is spread far and wide. Because of that, I have an extensive list of friends for chatting with. This is very useful, because if I ever need a fluent speaker of Chinese, its simply not that hard.

To give them my address, I give them my email address which is @ my website address, angrystickman.com. That address leads to this blog. But I realized, in a deeper way, that link leads to me.

That sounds silly, and I was embarrassed when I thought this, embarrassed when I developed it, and embarrassed as I write this. But the fact is, for over five years now, Angrystickman.com has had little pieces of me. But now it leads to more me than it ever has.

I have not updated this blog in over two weeks, and I still believe that is true. Hell, even the spaces are interesting, in that they show the rising tides of how busy I am.

The interesting part is the blog rarely discusses things of too much substance. Really my life has had a lot more frustration and annoyance than this blog really conveys. I convey work issues, and Chinese issues. These things occupy my brain, but a large part of my emotions have been elsewhere.

That said, this blog still conveys so much of me. Its tempo, its tone. Its concerns, they are all parts of me. And if for nothing else, the sheer quantity of it is essential to me being me.

No person will get a clear image of me from this, but it is incredible we live in an age when this is so easily available. Through this site, you can find my pictures, my writing, my thoughts, and my life. All of which is pretty shallow, but far more than could have been done before inherent (without carrying large biographies with us).

So I gave this link to someone today and realized that with dedicated reading, they could know an awful lot about me, very very fast. That is a strange feeling.

這首網誌不是我的生命。可是,真是一點兒。

Excuse the bad Chinese attempts, but I need to start throwing more in there.

Also a quick update of things in my life:

Dating Rie - Very good. Describing the intricacies of our relationship would take time and a larger blog, but its good. We study a lot together, and eat a lot, two of my favorite things I am finding.

Learning Chinese - Not bad. My tones are terrible, and Rie may kill me if I don't improve them. My reading is getting better fast, my writing is okay. It will be easier when I have a one on one class (一對一課).

Teaching English - Ups and downs. A few weeks ago was hard. Sometimes everything is smooth, sometimes, ugh. One student is getting batty on me, and that is not really helping.

Applying for Law School - It is such a weird experience. You are fighting this fear of rejection, but at the same time, paying for that battle. It makes applying very weird. Actually, so far it has been cheap as I have not applied to any schools where I did not have a fee waiver. There is only one where I might, but I think I might not. Now excuse me, I have to go print out and frame that sentence.

Basketball - My inside game is getting really good. My outside game is somehow getting even worse. My dribbling, control, and teamwork, also getting better. I realized that dunking might be as distant as being a good writer, just not likely. However, I have my jump to where it was Sophomore year of college (can touch the rim solidly). The theory is now I should do squats seriously and try to get really up there, but I don't have decent weights.

Martial Arts - I still have not really had the time to pursue a teacher or a group to learn the basics with. But I will do it.

Oh, and to close, a quick story. Ran into a guy from Longmont the other day. He knew exactly where I used to live. Really great guy, bought Rie and I's dinner. We talked Broncos, it was really cool. Really interesting to think of that small town, with so little of them traveling overseas (unless I have a horrible misconception of Longmont), and I run into one, in an obscure part of Taiwan. Crazy stuff.

2 comments:

Old Math said...

When you were about six years old your mother and I wanted to move back to Colorado to get away from the frantic nonsense of the area around Washington, DC. I lobbied hard to leave you behind since I figured you would be happier in a cosmopolitan lifestyle but your mother prevailed. Since you have been dumping on Longmont ever since I guess I was right....

Anyway Longmont is a center for the manufacture of hard disc drives, which often entails off-shore operations in places like, oh say Taiwan. So there are probably more world travelers than you might expect.

Matthew K Warner said...

I didn't know when I was 10 that my cosmopolitanism was so obvious. I guess I was born an urbanite somehow.

Yeah, he actually did chemicals, but his move was similar.

He was from CO, rode big Harley's, fought in Vietnam and really really hated the Bush crew.