Tuesday, December 06, 2005

A blog entry

The other day I wrote a long, long blog entry. Some thirty minutes of content, but it met a grizzly demise, I am not sure how or why, but I think my posting got mugged in a dark alley adjecent to the internet. Where petty thugs wait to do evil, unspeakable, things to innocent posts.

I actually then deleated it, as my Chinese, ironically based on the content of this post, was not good enough to read what I was doing.

You might notice a different tempo, a new sort of style to my post. Furthermore, sheer deprevaties done upon the English language, notably spelling. Things that will make my mom wake up at night with tears in her eyes.

That is to say, my computer is broken, and thus went my spell checker.

I could use another spell checker, but that seems some what like adultry.

So for now, I am typing on my school's computer. My last entry was created in a smoke filled internet cafe, a room that would be a great text book example of musky, yet at the same time, exceeds the term by bounds.

I have a lot of things to post about, but I am deterimed to write about just one.

I will rewrite much of the last post, Chinese.

I like Chinese a lot, especially writing it. I assumed as my character knowledge grew, I would come to agree to the writers that so passionatly put down Chinese's accessibility (like that NY Times writer and the Prof whose names are not coming to me). Yet really, I could not more disagree.

Chinese is one, not inaccessible. I have been learning for five months, on and off at that, and I can at least chit chat. Sometimes I have no idea whats going on, which was not the case with Spanish, but I also had far more time to study Spanish.

The characters are filled with repition. A character that used to scare the heck out of me was 錢 (qian2 or money) - for some reason on a computer screen it seemed rather scary. Now I write it often, partially because its really just three things that I write often. Most of Chinese is just constructions of stuff that you have already learned.

I actually have only been focusing on writing for two weeks, but I have almost caught up to my classmates who have been writing for five months (in other words, I have learned all the characters that the book has taught in that time). Mind you I had been reading them for some time, but it still goes to my point.

It is what makes Chinese beautiful and worth learning.

Chinese is no more inaccessible than science is. Some people are good at it, some people, not as good at it. Some people like it, some people don't. I really do like, I really actually love it.

As far as speaking (which I like, but not nearly as much), the tones are supposed to be the hard part, but they too are not that difficult. Any competent English speaker can say the tones. Most can memorize the tones with words. Hearing them becomes more and more natural just listening (mind you, maybe I will take all of this back in another six months). For me, the hard part is saying them in context. Saying them with fluency. But that too is coming naturally.

I recommend that you at least learn a few characters. Its interesting to really consider it a lanaguage. Don't just write what you see, but look at each part.

Anyway, I have a lot of posts to put up here, and hopefully I will have the time to go to an Internet cafe and type them out.

No comments: