Sunday, January 15, 2006

The one where I say Chauncey Billiups seven times

Again, apologies for grammar or typographical errors of the first rate:

I experienced school spirit today, which was definitely a taste of something different. I don't regret CU, I really don't. However, I find that people repeating sentences show a certain amount of disingenuousness.

I would never trade the friends that I have met at CU.

Also, I don't think I would really trade my dirt cheap (albeit paid for by my fantastic parents) education for a fantastically expensive one. The fact is that I have now put myself in a position where I can go to most law schools and have no debt to my name. If I went to a different school, I would, hopefully, have the same option but without the debt lingering above my head.

At CU I was always learning. Even if I slept in class, and then mastered hobbies at night, I think more times than not I was still improving myself, and that is all that counts.

But sometimes I wish that the name of my alma mater conjured up images of great academics, or at least say, excellent thespians (that sentence will draw a lot of Google hits from people who type their lisp). Yet in reality, it creates other images, and things like, say, consensual sex are definitely not in the top three.

Yet I experienced the oddest school pride moment, in possible the most vain manner. I was reading ESPN, and they said that one of the top two point-guards in the nation was "Chauncey Billups."

I actually read his name, and felt a bit different, and kept reading.

About a paragraph down I realized my brain, which is a funny gizmo, had taken note to return to that paragraph when I finished reading. This is often the case with articles, that I will somehow highlight a paragraph I want to read again if the article turns out to be interesting, yet usually this is a subconscious process.

Because I was aware of what happened, I decided to read the paragraph again and realized that the name "Chauncey Billups" had made me happy, if only for second.

The vanity of this baffles me. I did not play basketball at CU. I only attended one game in my four years there. And although I really did pull for the team, I only watched a handful of games.

Furthermore, "Chauncey Billups" went to CU at a completely different time from me.

But I have attached myself to my school. When the CU foundation calls me for the next couples of years, I expect to laugh. But I really do care about my school.

Perhaps I like "Chauncey Billups" because that is a name that is positive. Of what little I know about him, he is a good guy. He always seems nice. He is great at what he does. But most importantly, he is something I can picture from my school, and not feel bad.

A real discussion about whether school spirit is a good thing is a much deeper question than this blog cares to dabble in (I am writing this aside so that I don't end a sentence with a preposition, which I hate). That discussion would really be just a metaphor for Nationalism. So if you want a real discussion, read Mill or, you know, whatever.

Even a discussion that ends in the conclusion that Nationalism is good because it makes the masses enthusiastic, that does not help me not feel dumb for enjoying a moment of school glorification.

I am now applying for law schools and my allegiances flap in the wind. For a moment I was dabble with the idea of memorizing my school's position on big lists. For a moment I will think of the rebellious nature of my school. All of these discussions are far too arrogant and pointless for even the internet. Yet all of them make me feel kind of bad.

Kanye West and Slum Village, contemporaries of Mill, wrote that maybe they were, in fact, Selfish, but they would, indeed, like to love all of the world's ladies. Perhaps I want to do the same thing with law school.

But ultimately, I will pick a law school (actually, as it stands I don't even know if I have an option), and maybe KW and SV can come around and pick their ladies. Yet, this is the last few months where most law schools are created equal. This is the last few months where I won't subconsciously scan for the legal equivalent of "Chauncey Billups."

I also know that none of this really matters, don't I?

1 comment:

Daryl said...

The feeling is mutual about Chauncy Billips then. Except I was there when he was and know him as a very stand up guy. I was honored enough to be his personal guard on more than one ocassion and never gave up the chance to do so. But more to the point being a personal guard for anyone can suck because they often don't care about you, the position they put themselves in, or how it will make my job harder because they want everyone to be able to touch them all at once.

Well, except Chauncy. He was always polite to fans and security both. Asking security first before doing something that would make it harder on us, and making sure to give the fans a great show, and a chance to talk with him personally.

He wan't as large a star then as he is today, but he knew he would be, and yet was still humble enough to know, remember, and ask for me as his guard by name.

Even if that is the only thing that brings up some pride in CU, I will take it. :-)