Monday, January 16, 2006

What God has been up to

In case you were wondering what the almighty has been up to, the answer is he is not watching football.

Indy's kicker Vanderjagt has said some stupid things, but this one goes at the top for me (from http://sports.esp n.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=260115011):

Vanderjagt slammed his helmet to the turf, obviously forgetting how fortunate he was to have had the chance.

"It's extreme disbelief," Vanderjagt said. "From the Polamalu interception reversal to Jerome's fumble, everything seemed to be lined up in our favor. I guess the Lord forgot about the football team.

I am no theologian, but I don't think the Lord forgets in the sense of how I lose my car keys. Rather, I think he forgets in a much more, shall we say, biblical sense, wandering in the desert sort of thing.

What I like about this is that for far too many times I have heard winners say, "this is because of the Lord." However, this is the first time where one of my favorite jokes actually happened. Where someone had the arrogance (or perhaps consistency of thought), to actually put the rap on the Supreme Being, right where it belongs.

The best part is the word "ignore," simply because I have this great image of God and Jesus sitting around watching CBS's presentation of figure skating or, say, golf. Jesus turns to God and says "Hey, dad, you know the football game is on?"

"I know, but I really just don't like that Indy team." Amen.

1 comment:

Old Math said...

The mayor of New Orleans says the destruction of the city by hurricane was due to "God's wrath" over the Iraq War.

I'd call him a moron but most morons are very nice people. I'll call him a liberal, really throw some dirt at him.